If you are interested in batteries, you must have heard of a battery isolator. As expected, this device has its importance. But many people do not know much about this component.
In this post, we will learn about battery Isolators. We will also discover their uses and benefits.
What Does a Battery Isolator Do?
A battery isolator helps a battery to have enough power to start an engine and recharge the other batteries.
If you own a vehicle with multiple batteries, you should have a battery isolator. When it comes down to it, this device is found in engines where one battery powers the engine while another works with navigational equipment and so on.
So what does a battery isolator do? Well, this component offers backup power to a vehicle by separating multiple batteries. Connected to the alternator, this device does not draw power from all the batteries. Instead, it focuses on the largest one and collects energy from it. As for the other batteries, the alternator juices them up and makes them ready for future use.
Are There Different Types of Isolators?
Yes, there are two types of isolators. These devices include the solenoid isolator and a diode isolator. As expected, each of these items has different types of features.
If you prefer something efficient and tough, you should choose a solenoid isolator. It directs the flow of electrical current via various types of multiple relays. Even if this type of isolator looks complicated, a solenoid performs her office work.
The relays perform several functions. For instance, the central relay inspects the power levels of inactive batteries while the other relays draw current from another battery or charge the unused ones.
On the other hand, a diode isolator controls the flow of current from the battery via dual – high-powered diodes. Unlike a solenoid isolator, easy-to-understand and durable. On top of that, a diode isolator does not require extra care or)rl2es maintenance.
How Can I Find the Best Battery Isolator for My Vehicle?
There is nothing much to choosing a battery isolator. But before you can install an isolator that meets your needs, you should make some considerations.
- Pick an isolator that you can install. If well installed, the isolator promises top performance.
- Before choosing an isolator, look for a model that can handle your size of the load. To perform this task, just compare the rating of your isolator to the amount of energy that you might offer.
- Every isolator has an ideal number of batteries that it can handle. With this in mind, pick a model that can handle a circuit and writing without much help.
What are the Vehicles that Use Battery Isolators?
Battery isolators can be found on utility vehicles, recreational vehicles, and large trucks. Apart from land vehicles, there are battery isolators for boats and airplanes.
Can I Install a Battery Isolator in My Vehicle?
Yes, you can. If your vehicle does not feature a battery isolator, you can fix one into the engine.
Here are the basic steps that can give you a general idea about installing a battery isolator. If you want to fix an isolator on your engine, consult the services of a professional.
- Remove the negative terminal of the battery.
- Install the battery isolator close to the starting battery.
- Fix a blue ring terminal to the black ground wire of the isolator. Then join the wire to the metal part of the vehicle’s body.
- Cut the battery cable into two lengths – one long one for connecting the isolator to the positive end of the extra battery while the short one will attach the same isolator to the positive part of the main battery.
- Fix one end of the shorter cable to a circuit breaker in your engine. You can place the breaker into your engine and attach it to the positive end of the battery. To attach the starting battery with the breaker, use a wire.
- Connect the long and shorter battery cables to the positive end of the other battery.
A battery isolator can be found in trucks, vans, boats, and planes. Here, it powers up a battery and recharges the extra ones.
The two types of isolators include solenoid and diode isolators. Asides from having varying features, they work in different ways. Moreover, they promise various benefits for a vehicle.
It is also possible to install an isolator on your engine. But to avoid any accidents, visit your mechanic for any advice or repairs.